Error in Creating a datasource against an Excel sheet

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:39 AM

Hi All:

I'm getting an this error when I create a datasource against an excel sheet..

Error message says :

The query could not be processed:

o "Data provider or other service returned an E_FAIL status."

Please advise..

Thanks;

Gjo

Coordinator
Jul 6, 2009 at 6:04 AM

Seems like there's som truble with your datasource definition or some oledb provider, can't say what it is from your message, have you tried creating an odbc source on your excel workbook ?

Please try that first.

How to be able to select from excel with odbc

1, have data in excel workbook

2 Create Headers for that data this will be columns

3 Name the sheet properly

4 Create a named range over the data including headers, this will be the table in you sql query.

5 Now Create an odbc against that excel workbook, follow excel odbc provider instructions

6 Open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSQRY32.EXE try to select from that excel odbc

Hope this helps to get you further

/Magnus

Jul 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM
Hi Magnus;

I don't have MSQRY32.EXE in my pc .
I look for it in the MS web and office CD.i couldn't find it. Where can i get it..? My OS is Vista .
Thanks;

Gjo

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 2:04 AM, emap <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Seems like there's som truble with your datasource definition or some oledb provider, can't say what it is from your message, have you tried creating an odbc source on your excel workbook ?

Please try that first.

How to be able to select from excel with odbc

1, have data in excel workbook

2 Create Headers for that data this will be columns

3 Name the sheet properly

4 Create a named range over the data including headers, this will be the table in you sql query.

5 Now Create an odbc against that excel workbook, follow excel odbc provider instructions

6 Open C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSQRY32.EXE try to select from that excel odbc

Hope this helps to get you further

/Magnus

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (InfoRpt@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email InfoRpt@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2009 at 7:21 AM

MSQuery  is part of Office, so If you have office you must have msquery. What version of office do you have ?

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:53 AM
I have Office Enterprise 2007. I re-run the installation CD and installed MSquery..However, it hasn't appear in the Office11/12 folder.

Thanks  

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 3:21 AM, emap <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

MSQuery  is part of Office, so If you have office you must have msquery. What version of office do you have ?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (InfoRpt@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email InfoRpt@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com